Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Beautiful Beets

We harvested our beets that we planted early back in April.  I didn't even know we were going to harvest them, but Taylor pulled them up along with some corn that wasn't doing too well.  The corn went to the compost build pile and the beets came up to the kitchen.  This was the first time I have ever steamed and peeled my own beets, and it was just that easy.  To my delight, there was one golden beet mixed with the red ones.  After I steamed and peeled them, I sliced the beets and added them to a salad along with some goat cheese.  One word, delicious!  I will be braising the beet greens tonight, along with some chard I just picked fresh.

2 comments:

  1. They sure look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful! We just harvested some radishes. I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete