Friday, September 16, 2011

September Just Rolling By

So as the autumnal equinox approaches, I have decided to not carry my gopher-resentment into the new season.  I turned over the garden yesterday, tilling all the clumps of dirt/compost that had become engrossed in the network of roots that had grown through the ground.  Taylor and I decided that we should concentrate on planting less crops, zeroing in on how to grow those items really well, and then move on to new items.  I got so excited when I found the Petaluma Seed Bank, and I went a little overboard.  So now, I have reeled myself back and am now focusing on just five items, well, four really.  My tilled ground is divided into sections, which I diligently measured out yesterday, and will be planting the following crops:  Squash (Pomme d'Or), Collard Greens (Georgia Southern), Beets (Early Wonders and Chioggia), Lettuce (Merveille des Quatre Saisons), and Rainbow Chard (Five Color Silverbeet Swiss Chard).  I planted the seeds in the starters yesterday and am hoping to plant on the equinox.  So there it is, my plan for our fall crop. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great fall crop to me! Isn't the Petaluma Seed Bank so amazing?!? We'll be driving all the way up there just to go to the seed bank in early January (if they are open then).

    ReplyDelete